Every day, there are new headlines in the world of sports that affects fandom and sports betting by the day. Here is some of the top sports news around the world in football (soccer), American football, tennis, and baseball for the month of August.
- Borussia Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke says the suspension against OusmaneDembele is to set an example to other teams in the Bundesliga in regards to his insubordination after demanding a transfer to Barcelona FC
- Spanish club Valencia has completed two signings this week; Columbian defender Jeison Murillo will come from Inter Milan, and centre-back, Gabriel Paulista, will be coming over from Arsenal after agreeing to a 5-year deal with an €80million buyout.
- After a sluggish performance against Watford, Liverpool defeated Crystal Palace 1-0 and manager JurgenKlopp brushed off any criticism they had and instead focused on the team’s defense.
- Defending English Premier League champions Manchester United win their second match of the new season is grand style with a 4-0 victory at Swansea. Eric Bailey scored late in the first half, while RomeluLukaku, Paul Pogba and Anthony Martial piled on the last goals all between the 80’ and 84’ minutes of the match.
- New York Yankees manager Joe Girardi is taking his hard-throwing pitcher, Aroldis Chapman, out of the closer role as the pitcher continues to be in a slump this season. After giving up two runs in Friday’s 9-6 loss, Chapman now has career worse records in ERA (4.29), WHIP (1.37), K’s per 9 IP (12.6), and Opp. OPS (.669).
- Los Angeles Dodgers have placed starting pitcher, Yu Darvish, on the DL with sore back and have signed OF Curtis Granderson off waivers, while opting to send OF Joc Peterson down to Triple-A Oklahoma City.
- Chicago Cubs defeated the Toronto Blue Jays 4-3 courtesy of two RBI’s and a run scored by Ian Happ, plus a solid six-inning performance by starter Jose Quintana, and a perfect 9th inning by closer Wade Davis for his 26th save this season. The Cubs currently maintain their 1.5 game lead in the Central Division.
American Football (NFL)
- With a hole in their linebacker depth due to injuries, the Miami Dolphins signed free agent Rey Maualuga. Maualuga, 30, played the last 8 seasons with the Cincinnati Bengalsbefore being released at the end of last season.
- As of 8.19.17, Vegas odds-makers have the defending champions, New England Patriots, as the overwhelming favorites to repeat as champions at +325, with the Green Bay Packers in a distant second at +800, and the Oakland Raiders in third at +1000. Meanwhile, the odds for the Dallas Cowboys has currently declined to +1400 following the six-game suspension of RB Ezekiel Elliott, even though he is currently appealing it, which will be held prior to the beginning of the season.
- Maria Sharapova has been granted a wild-card entry into the upcoming US Open, her second consecutive major play since her return from suspension for PED use this April. Meanwhile, former US Open champion Samantha Stosur has withdrawn from the tournament due to an injured right hand, which she suffered in the French Open in June.
On August 26, boxing zeroes in on Las Vegas for the highly anticipated match between undefeated boxing champion Floyd Mayweather and MMA’s Connor McGregor. The NFL regular season formally begins on September 7.That is the top sports news for the month of August (as of 8/19/2017).